Director – Past President
Full Professor of Strunctural Analysis and Design
University of Salerno, Dept. of Civil Engineering
Address: via Giovanni Paolo II – 84084 Fisciano (SA), Italy
In a nutshell
- From 2013 to 2019, he was President of the American Concrete Institute Italy Chapter, association of which he was among the “founding members”.
- From 2018 to 2020, he was Member of the Scientific Committee of Federbeton.
- Prof. Realfonzo was Chairman of the Organizing Committee of several national and international conferences and workshops, among which the following are mentioned: a) the first two editions of the International Workshop on “Durability and Sustainability of Concrete Structures“, held in Bologna in 2015 and in Moscow in 2018; b) the first five editions of the International Workshop on “New boundaries of structural concrete”.
- Realfonzo has been a member of prestigious institutes and associations, of some of which he still takes part: the American Concrete Institute (ACI); the International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib); the International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems and Structures (RILEM); the Italian Association of Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete (AICAP); the College of Steel Technicians (CTA); the College of Building Industrialization Technicians (CTE).
- He was a member of: the fib Task Group 4.2 “Bond Models” which edited the fib Bulletin 10 “Bond of reinforcement in concrete” (2000); the “ACI 440 F Task Committee” which was responsible for drafting a contribution to the ACI Guidelines on the topic “Mechanically Anchored FRP Strengthening Systems” (2009-2013); the RILEM “Technical Committee 234-DUC”, which edited a state of the art on the topic “Design procedures for the use of Composites in strengthening of reinforced concrete structures”.
- He was also member of CNR Commissions editing two important Guidelines for the specific field of the structural strengthening with fiber-reinforced composite material systems: i) the DT200/2004 “Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Existing Structures – Materials, RC and PC Structures, Masonry Structures”; ii) the DT 215/2018 “Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded Fibre Reinforced Inorganic Matrix Systems for Strengthening Existing Structures”.
- In 2021 the ACI Board of Direction conferred to prof. Realfonzo the ACI Chapter Activities Award “for leadership, enthusiasm and dedication while President of the Italy ACI Chapter, in promoting the Chapter activities and visibility at national and international level”.
- Prof. Realfonzo is author of about 200 papers which mostly concerned theoretical and mainly experimental studies and research on the following topics:
- non-linear modeling of RC buildings for the analysis of behavior under seismic action;
- effects of in plan and/or height irregularities on the seismic response of RC buildings;
- concrete reinforced with FRP bars: study of the bars-concrete bond;
- experimental analysis and analytical modelling of the behavior of tuff masonry walls under cyclic loading;
- use of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) and Fabric Reinforced Cementitious Matrix (FRCM) systems for repairing, strengthening, and seismic retrofitting, of RC and masonry structures;
- use of steel fiber composite materials for the structural strengthening (SRP and SRG systems);
- use of Mechanically Fastened FRP systems for the strengthening of RC structures;
- experimental investigation and analytical modelling of the cyclic behavior of RC columns and RC beam-column joints with/without external retrofitting by composite materials; 9) experimental analysis of physical-mechanical properties of “green” concretes.